Saturday 13 November 2010

The Keys are Breeding

Spent an hour at Rochdale and District ARS' "Traditional Radio Rally" this morning. I'm not quite sure what is "traditional" about it - save the rather loose affiliation between some of the visitors and modern standards of personal hygiene.


Couldn't resist another "Key WT 8 Amp" to accompany the one I'd restored from Rishworth a few weeks back. This one is a No 3 Mk I, dated 1940 and carrying the further identifying mark "ZA4605" (on further inspection, I notice this is also stamped on the base of the Rishworth model)...


This MkI is differentiated from the key I got at the G-QRP Convention by the use of a compression spring under the arm (the Rishworth Key has a tension spring above) and by the solid, machined "saddles", rather than the diecast excuses which had failed on my earlier purchase. The flat faces and sharp corners of the machined components are visible on the new key...


If anything, the new key feels better than the one I restored the other week (in which there is a little play in the un-restored central pivot).

Also, I got an old instrument case (which will live again in a new application). I didn't buy it for the case but rather for the goodies I harvested from it...


It is worth the money I paid for EITHER the BNC sockets OR the switches - for both and the case itself, a bargain!

...-.- de m0xpd

1 comment:

  1. I have a very similar key but is marked on the front as 10F/2553 on the back P.T.&E.W. 1940. I was told by the fellow I bought it from that it came out of a Lancaster or a Beaufighter, he couldn't remember which.

    You can see a picture on this web site, down near the bottom, about 9 or ten entries from the bottom or just search on ve3gtc and you will find it.

    A nice key with a nice but firm feel. Not for every day use but OK for every now and again.

    cheers, Graham ve3gtc

    ReplyDelete